Blogger Clogger's Slog Blog
Well
hello everyone, I'm finally back and coming to you in the final hours
of allowance for this little assignment of ours. We all have long
days and for me, this was an impressive one filled with mistakes,
midterms, work and traveling. This makes the title of today's blog
particularly fitting.
During
one of the many hours of work though I anticipated how, to-the-wire,
this entry may be and I decided to start my blog at work in the only
way I could think to do. Interview the people at Zehrs, co-worker and
otherwise as if I were a journalist asking them the question of the
hour:
Do
we get the media we want or want the media we get?
I
initially laughed upon seeing this question because I can see the
philosophical value in debating the thought for years on end but that
will never answer anything really. I know I'm supposed to pick a side
and argue for it, and I will, but think about this logically...
How
many forms of media do you honestly not care about?
How
many forms of media do you have no interest in indulging in?
…
If
we follow some prior thoughts, in that almost all of life can be
considered one media or another, Then I'm guessing the answer to the
previous question is many. In this vein, we should always
get the media we want because the rest is ignored. However, this only
counts for the preliminary acquisition of the media and it's rather
easy to hate what you end up with. So did we get the media we want in
these cases? No, this rationale only works when we view the
question from the point of view of the singular observer. The
audience is another matter and as Stadler and O'Shaughnessy say, "All
our efforts at finding the meanings of texts may come to grief when
we confront the real audience" (Media
and Society: Fifth Edition University
Press 2013 Pg.97). The "real audience" can speak for every
individual and every individual is moot when challenged by the "real
audience". The only option here is to look at the latter half of
the question.
Do
we want the media we get?
If
you've ever honestly watched someone watch Jersey Shore you know
that you've really (emphasis added here is too
significantly stressed to be described through script) got to want it
in order to sit through it. That there is your answer. Everyone has
their own Jersey Shore. That little moped in the back of the garage
that you don't want your friends to see you drive. That's wanting the
media you get. It's easy to say that you hate the news or hate what
the fashion magazines are excluding (truth) but eventually you fall
right back onto your hidden moped and drive back to Jersey Shore
where you bask in the sunlight of your own needed media that tans you
oh so brilliantly orange. I think James Halloran puts it pretty well,
"We must get away from the habit of thinking in terms of what
the media do to people and substitute for it the idea of what people
do with the media" (Halloran, J 1970, The
Effects of Television, Panther,
London). The answer, my friend and reader, is dirty, dirty things.
But
I digress! John Patcher informed me, during the interview, that, “the
media only gives us what it wants us to want”, which immediately
made me not want to continue the interview. After breaking contact
with the man and being loosely chastised by my manager I shut things
down and got back to work for a couple minutes.
Mary
Phillips from the West side made it clear that we most certainly do
get the media we need in a very verbose way. “Of course we get the
media we need”, she exclaimed excitedly, “If we had no media, we
wouldn't know the state of the world. We need the media”. Well
Mary, all my gut says is "potentially".
Tony
Johnson, a baker in the North told me to get away from him and Ted
Nugent was not around for comment.
So
in closing, let me ask you. When engaging this form of media today,
did you read the blog you wanted or get the laugh you needed?

No comments:
Post a Comment